What’s the most important thing about selling our property?
Define clearly why you want to sell, where you will relocate to and what the financial implications will be.
What steps are involved in selling our property?
- Once you have clearly defined what you are trying to accomplish, then interview local professional real estate agents that have experience and a good track record of marketing homes and working closely with sellers.
- Your agent will be able to walk you through the steps of getting your property ready for the market place.
- Establish a marketing plan to determine the price range and terms that will be acceptable to you and fit into your plan.
- Work closely your agent to prepare for showings and discuss buyer feedback. Make adjustments to your marketing plan as necessary.
- Review all the terms of offers with your agent that you consider acceptable, and with your real estate attorney before signing or proceeding with additional negotiations. Once the contacts are signed, proceed to closing the sale.
Which home improvements will have the highest return when selling?
Don’t underestimate the value of curb appeal. A nicely mowed lawn, flowers in the front yard and a freshly painted front door will impress buyers as they approach the house. Indoors, clear out the clutter from bedrooms and closets. Costlier improvements to kitchens and baths can add to the
resale value and reduce time on the market, but check with your agent first, it’s easy to spend money you won’t get back.
What’s the best way to establish our asking price?
A market study and pricing evaluation with your agent, will determine the position of entry and the initial asking price.
What factors can influence the price of my home?
Location, condition, age and size.
Does my home need to be staged?
Although homes that are staged usually bring a higher price, it’s not required. A consult with a professional stager will usually answer that question.
What’s the best way to negotiate a buyer’s offer?
The agent you chose to represent you in the marketing and sale of your property needs to be a good negotiator or it could cost you several thousand dollars at this point. Your agent needs to create a win/win situation for you and the buyers. Modify your goals slightly if necessary, but stick to your overall plan. If the buyers walk away, be respectful and leave the door open, they may be back.
Are there standard contingencies in an offer?
Yes, the two most common are financing and inspections. Read them carefully and fully understand all contingencies before signing (consult with your real estate attorney if you have questions).